Posts Tagged ‘vegan’
Regan got me the most amazing cupcake book ever for my birthday called ‘A Zombie Ate My Cupcake’
All of the cupakes in this book look incredible so I tried out the BRAINS for Megan’s birthday. Megan’s a vegan so I needed to use a different recipe but the decoration was still the same.
vegan red velvet cupcakes
- 1 C soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ C flour
- 1 C sugar
- 2 T cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 2 T red food colouring
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp chocolate essence
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line a cupcake tin
- In a medium size bowl, combine the soy milk and set aside to curdle*
- In another bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set aside
- Add the oil, food colouring and extracts to the curdled soy milk and whisk well to combine
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet and fold to combine, mixing until the large lumps disappear
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan then bake for 20 mins
* This is to imitate buttermilk. It is an important step because the vinegar gives the baking soda something that it can react to!
vegan cream cheese frosting
- ¼ C tofutti cream cheese
- ¼ C margarine, softened
- 2 C icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Red food colouring
Cream together the margarine and cream cheese just until combined. Sift in the icing sugar in ½ cup batches, whipping thoroughly combined after each addition. Add the vanilla and as much red food colouring a needed until you get the desired colour and whip until light and fluffy.
To decorate, pipe the icing onto the cupcake. I did half a side at a time, zig-zagging from the center to the edge of the cupcake (but not too perfect so it could be brain like) then I repeated for a second layer. The ‘Zombie Ate My Cupcake’ book had a recipe for a cherry sauce that could be the brain blood just for some extra gore, I made it and it tasted yum but I didn’t think it looked that great, so instead I just dripped extra bits of food colouring randomly around the brain.
We went out for dinner and they went down a treat for dessert – I’m def keen to make them again!