Posts Tagged ‘custard’
Around the start of August Meaghan sent me a picture of cupcakes that she wanted for her birthday. They seemed impossible so I was like “pfffft, yeah right!” BUT then I came across the rainbow candy strips that was the key to the decoration and knew I had to suprise her with them.
One of my old workmates, Lauren, also messaged me a few days before I was planning to make Meaghans cupcakes to offer me my first every paid job (exciting!). She was after something bright like my rainbow cupcakes like I’ve done before (like these) for a friends birthday. I showed her what I was planning to make Meaghan and she was super keen on them too. The timing worked out to be perfect that I could make Meaghan & Lauren’s cupcakes at the same time.
Because I was making two batches with the same decoration – I decided to make two different flavours. I made chocolate cupcakes because everybody loves chocolate and I figured custard powder has the same consistency as cocoa powder so I made custard cupcakes too. I was a bit nervous about how they would turn out but it REALLY worked! They tasted caramelly – nom!!
- 250g plain flour
- 2 x 15ml T cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g soft unsalted butter
- 200g castor sugar
- 2 tsp red food colouring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or other vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line two muffin trays with paper cases
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl
- In another bowl, cream the butter, and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the food colouring and vanilla extract
- While still beating, add one spoonful of dried ingredients, then one egg, followed by some more dried ingredients, then the other egg, followed by the rest of the dried ingredients
- Beat together the buttermilk and vinegar
- Fold into creamed mixture
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cases
- Bake for 20 mins or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched
- Transfer to a wire tack to cool down completely before decorating
The same as above but swap cocoa powder with custard powder, and red food colouring with yellow.
blue buttery cream cheese icing
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g cream cheese
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- 1 tsp blue food colouring
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
Beat all of the above ingredients together until smooth then spread over the cupcakes.
Pipe on white clouds (200g icing sugar & 80g cream cheese) on each side of the cupcake in zigzags. Leave for a few mins to set a little, then push strips of rainbow candy into the clouds.