Posts Tagged ‘caramel’
Genna from work has a friend that absolutely LOVES pirates and asked me to make her some cupcakes for her birthday – fun!
She let me choose the flavour so I used my amended red velvet recipe again (with the cocoa swapped with custard powder & no food colouring) with little pirate themed fondant decorations on top.
- 250g plain flour
- 2 x 15ml T custard powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g soft unsalted butter
- 200g castor sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or other vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a muffin tray with paper cases
- Combine the flour, custard powder, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl
- In another bowl, cream the butter, and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the vanilla extract
- While still beating, add one spoonful of dried ingredients, then one egg, followed by some more dried ingredients, then the other egg, followed by the rest of the dried ingredients
- Beat together the buttermilk and vinegar
- Fold into creamed mixture
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cases
- Bake for 20 mins or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched
- Transfer to a wire tack to cool down completely before decorating
buttery cream cheese icing
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g cream cheese
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- ½ tsp caramel essence
Beat all of the above ingredients together until smooth then pipe onto the cupcakes.
To create pirate themed decorations to go on the top of each cupcake I rolled out coloured fondant and used some miniature shape cutters & sculpturing/modeling tools. Then to glue parts together I used sugar glue.